Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sassy Soup


This soup was a recipe I would have skipped right past some years ago. Loaded with vegetables, including some less common like tomatillos, and garnished with meatballs, it would have seemed too spicy, too tomato-ey, too weird. But lo! I now eat lots of things that would have evoked a shudder or a shrug in the olden days.

The veggies: onions, carrots, celery, garlic, tomatillos, eight serrano and jalapeno chiles, tomatoes in puree

The broth: dry white wine and chicken stock (hand-did, thank you very much!)

The spices: cumin, coriander, hot chile powder

The meatballs: chicken and pork

The finishing touch: lime juice, rice wine vinegar, lots of Tabasco, salt and pepper

Very spicy, very tasty. The meatballs were supposed to be all chicken but I supplemented with pork and think that probably improved the flavor. Everything is better with pork, right?

I have four pints to freeze for future meals. After all, winter isn't over yet and this is definitely a way to warm up! And Bob loves hot-flavored food, even if he lets his food temperature cool off way more than he should.

3 comments:

  1. I love having soup in the freezer. This one looks especially delicious! The comment link on your DB challenge isn't workin :-( Love the graham cracker peanut butter picture. I'm going to have to give that combo a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too found you link not to work =(. Your bars and grahams look wonderful! I'm so glad I could welcome you into the world of gluten-free baking =D.

    ReplyDelete